Product Safety Seminar
Product Safety Seminar
The Japanese Standards Association (hereinafter called JSA) has introduced the Product Safety Seminar in FY 2012.
The slogans for the Seminar are:
- For consumer to use safe products without anxiety
- To use safety standards as tools to boost market competitiveness
It is the desire of both consumers and businesses that products are safe and do not cause accidents.
Consumers may sustain physical and mental damage, depending on the type of product accident. Business enterprises can suffer fatal damages threatening business survival as a result of product recall, compensation, loss of social trust, etc. The distribution industry may also be held liable for sales responsibility.
In Europe, North America, China and South Korea, product safety regulations founded on product liability are being strengthened. Development of guidelines on assuring safety of consumer commodities is also under way at the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). What must be noted here is that implementation of safety assurance is regulated by standards.
In view of these developments, JSA has decided to present the latest information on product safety in Japan and the world, means to assure product safety and risk assessment methods under the program presented below and to share the way of thinking and methods in manufacturing safe products.
JSA hopes to draw participation of persons working in planning and development, product design, manufacturing, quality assurance, quality control and inspection in the manufacturing, distribution and retail industries. Persons in procurement and sales of distributed goods, in particular, are encouraged to gain greater knowledge of the principles and practices in risk assessment. The themes of the 11 seminars of the program are as follows.
- Methods in risk assessment (April 16, 2012)
- Product Safety Programs in Other Countries (May 23, 2012)
- The Current State and Analysis of Product Accidents (June 21, 2012)
- Building SafetyManagement System through Risk Assessment (July 31, 2012)
- Measures to Prevent Erroneous Use (September 5, 2012)
- Gaining Knowledge of and Dealing with Foreign Product Safety Schemes (October 31, 2012)
- Unraveling the Measures to Assure Consumer Safety (November 29, 2012)
- Legal Framework on Product Safety (December 21, 2012)
- Product Liability, Product Safety and Methods in Alternative Dispute Resolution (January 25, 2013)
- Recall and the Mass Media (February 28, 2013)
- The Future of Japan’s Product Safety Policy (March 22, 2013)
In addition to product safety, JSA holds food safety seminars as well.
JSA hopes to expand the scope of these seminars to include risk assessment management (ISO 31000 Series), business continuity (ISO22300 Series) supply chain management (ISO28000 Series and emergency management (ISO22320) in the future.